2006-04-02

A Sketch for "A Trip To No-Where" Project

I decided to do a sketch for my "Trip To No-Where" project with Aaron Freeman.

We had a dice, video camera, a notepad, and a pen in my car.
I drove and rolled a dice whenever I had to make a decision to turm left or right, or after driving for 10 minutes in one direction. We decided that even #s would be a right-turn, and odd #s would be a left-turn. Aaron videotaped my rolling of the dice, and recorded the turns on a notepad.

Departing from our apartment in Westchester at 2:47pm, our first sketch went on for exactly an hour, until 3:47, which we ended up in a street in Hawthorn.

Originally, this sketch was going to be about a 4, 5 hours long.
However, as we went along, we discovered that there should be some adjustments in the system that we were using.

First, I wanted to be able to trace the rout that we took on a map later, but we did not rememeber to record the street names. It was a lot to do for Aaron and I did not want to ask him too much. Later in the process, we figured that we can just read the street names out loud for the camera to pick up our voice. (Maybe for the next try, we could have a map to begin with and trace it as we go?)

Secondly, we did not end up as far away as we would have liked.
It was an interesting discovery how the streets demanded us to make a decision to turn before we go straight in one direction for 10 minutes. Out of 14 turns that we made within an hour, there were only 2 turns, which I had to roll the dice because we drove for 10 minutes from the previous decision. What it did was that we kep going back and forth in between Westchester and Inglewood.
Aaron and I talked about how we should have a choice for going straight. Aaron sugested that we could try deciding the "directions"(North South East West) by rolling dice, instead of left or right turns. Then I thought about going as straight as we could go until we must make a decision for turning or deciding the direction to go.

I thought about the "good-old Yamato(Japanese) spirit" of well-determined straightfarwardness. Being on a road and letting go of our control over where we we go became symbolic of life as we went on. I have really been interested in Buddhism lately, which is from a Western philosophical view very illogical and irational. But I feel like that my frustration with the understanding of Western philosophies and Western way of thinking must stem from the fact that I come from a different culture, and I would like to examine that in my artistic practice, because I do not want to draw lines in between things, like in between art and life and everthing else, since everything is a part of whole (one).




No comments: